Category Archives: Uncategorized
Well, this is embarrassing. The last time I blogged was in January… 2012. So what am I gonna do now — just post again with little explanation, as if that 20-month break never happened?
Little Explanation: Things got straight hectic in early 2012 — half-marathon training, moving to NYC, working too many hours at a thankless internship with a horrible boss, dedicating every other hour to finding better employment, quitting the internship and moving back home, moving back up to NY (upstate, this time) to be a camp counselor. With all that going on, I just kinda forgot about blogging. From time to time, I’d think about writing a new post, only to decide against it because it felt kinda weird to just start up after so long.
But in the past few days, I’ve come across 3 things that I felt like writing about. And what do I care what society thinks about an absurdly long lapse in updates? I’m a wildcard, a radical, a true loose cannon, and I say to hell with it all!
Now, here’s what’s been on my mind lately…
1 – The School of Rock kids all grew up to be attractive.
It’s been a full decade since School of Rock came out (I’M SO OLD DEAR GOD WHAT IS TIME, am I right?), and Jack Black, Richard Linklater, Mike White, and most of the kids from the cast recently had a reunion concert. I did not know about this concert until just today, but I did see Entertainment Weekly’s most recent Reunions issue, in which SoR was featured (along with Boy Meets World and Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, making the whole thing feel like it was orchestrated specifically for me. Except for most of the other reunions because I don’t really care about them.)
Anyhow, the important thing here is that all of the kids are 20-somethings now, and they all rate somewhere between “pretty cute; would flirt” to “DAAAAAAYYYYYUUUUMM.”
Unfortunately, neither the concert nor the EW shoot included Joan Cusack, which really, really sucks. But still, it’s cool to see everybody else together again. These types of reunions – where the cast has undergone a significant physical change since last seen together – are always the best, and SoR is one of the best movies about a fake substitute teacher turning a class full of upper-class pre-teens into a rock band complete with full posse so they can play Battle of the Bands that’s ever been made.
2 – I found this old mix CD from like, 8 years ago.
It’s entitled: “High School Road Trips” – never mind that at the time I made this, the longest “road trips” I was taking were shorter than the 50-minute running time of the mix. I don’t know why this made it onto my laptop which I only bought 2.5 years ago, but it certainly serves as a reminder of my teen-self’s refined & wide-ranging musical tastes.
That there’s a pretty accurate snapshot of what I was into in high school. Notice that most of those songs were already several years – decades, even – old for back then. “Sweetness” wasn’t even old enough to be a nostalgic classic, and still too old to be relevant in the mid-’00s. But I was a rebel, and I could express myself however I wanted, Mom and Dad!
3 – I was among the Chosen Few to witness the Soda Bowl.
Everyone at the office all got Chinese for lunch today, and two of my co-workers ordered Pepsi. When we picked the order up, we discovered the most wonderful, life-changing artifact one could hope to stumble across: the Soda Bowl.
They’re exactly what they sound like: soda in bowls (the kind usually reserved for wonton soup) rather than cups.
It made all of my problems vanish. Nothing in the whole wide multitudinous universe could ever top its awe-inspiring beauty. It is a miracle, and I am a believer.
I seriously suck the big one when it comes to blogging, don’t I? It’s been gods know how long since I updated (actually, I do know – one full month.) I could list off about 47 1/2 reasons for slacking off, but none would really suffice as anything more than excuses for my laziness. But I’m back (for now)! I know this makes y’all happier than a fat kid with cake.
I will say that something good has come from my absence. Several people have asked when I’ll be blogging again, so it’s nice to know that there are actual readers out there who are invested in my super lame life and amused by my not-quite-witty observations. Does this mean that if I keep up the good work, I might be able to somehow turn this thing into a profitable venture?
Eh, probably not.
But for those of you who care; first, thank you for reading!! And second, check back for more updates soon – there are actually quite a few things I wanna blog about!
A quick list of topics to expect in the near future:
- Christmas presents
- Dec. 21, or as I like to call it, the Best Day of 2011 Besides May 29 (Obviously)
- Vomiting on a train
- Plans for my February mini-vacation in Disney World/the laughable failure that is my half-marathon “training”
- The effects of watching way too many supernatural soap operas on Netflix
- And more!
So stay tuned! I swear there’ll be updates in the next few days, including tomorrow’s Random Saturday.
Also: Happy Friday the Thirteenth! Don’t die!
I seriously suck at blogging. I thought doing the Random Saturday thing would at least keep me updating on a semi-regular basis, but I just didn’t feel like it this weekend. Whatever, I feel like it now. Random Monday, suckaz!
- The best thing about this time of year is all the fun, limited-edition holiday treats! My favorite thus far is Starbucks’ Peppermint Mocha. It perfectly combines the beautiful, rich flavors of mint and chocolate into one happy cup. And if you order the tall size skinny-style, it’s only a hundred calories and still tastes like Heaven on Earth.
- The worst thing about this time of year is that all the good TV shows are going on their winter hiatus. Only one more new episode of It’s Always Sunny left, and last week saw the last of Up All Night, Suburgatory, Modern Family, Parks and Rec, and Grimm until 2012. I’ve managed to survive without The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle for a few weeks now, but dear Lord, I don’t think I can handle all my shows disappearing! And that’s not even mentioning Community‘s extended hiatus and possible cancellation. LIFE HAS NO MEANING.
- Speaking of It’s Always Sunny, hahahahahaRonaldMcDonaldhahahahaha!
- According to this Consumer Reports survey, people find “having to be nice” to be the tenth most stressful thing about the holidays. Clearly I did not take this survey, as that would be my Number One. Everything else on the list is stuff I really, really hate as well. Except parties, because I never get invited to any.
- Weighed myself the other day. Have gained a substantial amount of weight since pre-surgery days. Am not happy about such developments.
- Might have something to do with my discovering the wonders of all the self-serve fro yo joints scattered around Philadelphia. But frozen yogurt has, like, essential nutrients. So I should eat one at least once a day.
- Might also have something to do with my skipping work-outs on the weekends. But I’m far too busy reading snarky Sweet Valley High recapsand napping to even consider fitness. And, you know, muscle-recovery days, don’t wanna over-train, yadda yadda yadda…
- Friday night I hung out with Becky and Ryan! It was fun because I haven’t seen Ryan in about eleventy billion years, and we went to Friendly’s for ice cream (that peanut butter lava cake sundae so has nothing to do with my weight-gain) then drove around for a while just playing catch-up. Both of them read the blog, so wassup?
- Saw Hugo with Becky on Saturday morning. It was pretty amazing, but nothing like what the trailers would have you believe. It had lots of stuff for film nerds to fangasm over, especially those of us with an affinity for silent films. Put this down as yet another Scorsese masterpiece. (Honestly, is there any better director currently working in Hollywood? If you say “yes,” you’re a lying-pants’d liar. Get over your sick delusions.)
Pretty sure I’ve found my soulmate. And no, he isn’t Hugh Jackman.
He isn’t Neville Longbottom, either.
It’s this dude (whoever he is):
While I was lying low last week, nobly recovering from trauma and definitely not wallowing in self-pity or consuming gross amounts of chocolate, People Magazine released their Sexiest Man Alive issue with Bradley Cooper as their choice for the top honor. Then, the Internet blew up.
- THE MUPPETS! I saw the movie on Wednesday night with Becky, Ashley and Kristen and it was amazing. I laughed! I cried! I had other emotional reactions! It was awesome seeing all the characters I grew up with back in the game, and I instantly fell in love with Walter, the new Muppet! Everything about the movie was perfect – the jokes, the songs, the cameos, all of it was awesome! I’d love to see it nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards this year, and maybe – just maybe – win a statuette or two…
- That said, Hugo looks fucking fantastic, and I can’t wait to see it.
- My jeans are tighter today than they’ve been in weeks.
- But then, so’s my bra…
- You guys watch Weirdo or listen to Camp yet? If not, do it now. Donald Glover’s pretty much my soulmate.
- The neighbors across the street have a bunch of those huge inflatable Christmas decorations on their lawn. One is a Nativity scene. I silently judge them. I’m a bad person.
- Most happy Christmas songs make me wanna tear my eyes out with the good silverware, but I love a lot of the sad ones, like “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” and “I’ll Be Home For Christmas.” Does that say anything about me as a person?
- I decided I’m gonna start following college basketball. I’m gonna be a North Carolina fan, because they have argyle on their uniforms and I totally dig it. That seems like a solid reason to root for a team.
- Delaney met Santa at the mall today. Adorable quota for the year: met.
This Thanksgiving, I wanted to make some substantial contributions to dinner. I’m not much of a domestic, but since I’ve been so interested in food recently, I thought the holiday was a great opportunity to try out a couple of recipes. These are the recipes I tried:
- Apricot Cinnamon Almond Hummus from Peas and Thank You
- Applesauce Nut Bread from Skinnytaste
- Cranberry Pear Sauce from Skinnytaste
Prednisone was prescribed to me last week for the surgery. The dosage was upped after Saturday’s scare. So here’s some of what I’ve been dealing with lately.
Difficulty sleeping; feeling of a whirling motion; increased appetite; increased sweating; indigestion; mood changes; nervousness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); appetite loss; black, tarry stools; changes in menstrual periods; convulsions; depression; diarrhea; dizziness; exaggerated sense of well-being; fever; general body discomfort; headache; increased pressure in the eye; joint or muscle pain; mood swings; muscle weakness; personality changes; prolonged sore throat, cold, or fever; puffing of the face; severe nausea or vomiting; swelling of feet or legs; unusual weight gain; vomiting material that looks like coffee grounds; weakness; weight loss.