This Thanksgiving, I wanted to make some substantial contributions to dinner. I’m not much of a domestic, but since I’ve been so interested in food recently, I thought the holiday was a great opportunity to try out a couple of recipes. These are the recipes I tried:
- Apricot Cinnamon Almond Hummus from Peas and Thank You
- Applesauce Nut Bread from Skinnytaste
- Cranberry Pear Sauce from Skinnytaste
I’ve never had a serious allergic reaction before. There are a few foods I’m allergic to – mostly raw fruits and vegetables – that have caused me to break out in hives along my jawline, or maybe get an itchy throat or ears. Always little inconveniences that go away on their own after an hour or so, even left untreated. The worst ever was the first time I drank soy milk – a bowl of cereal topped with it gave me a huge blister on my lip and scratchy throat, but I didn’t even take a Benadryl and everything was gone after just an hour and a steaming mug of green tea. For a long time after that, I’d made sure to only eat soy in small traces and tried to build up an immunity. I thought it worked, because recently I’ve been able to have tofu meals and soy-protein bars without any irritation whatsoever.
Until yesterday. Read the rest of this entry
Just as I was really starting to spring back from my TS flare-up and subsequent surgery, I have a major allergic reaction requiring yet another trip to the hospital and nearly culminating in anaphylactic shock. Needless to say (but I’ll say it anyway,) I am not a happy fucking camper.
In the interest of cheering myself up, this week’s Random Saturday theme is A Few of My Favorite Things. Things like…
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. I’d been doing a really fantastic job of ignoring the stash in my freezer and saving it for a rainy day. Well, today there was a full-blown monsoon (figuratively speaking. It was actually a pretty nice autumn day. I’m disappointed I couldn’t enjoy it.) I’ve had three so far (four if a pack of Reese’s Pieces counts.)
- 3 Musketeers Bars. Ditto above, although I only had one. It was King Size, though.
- Homemade brownies with chocolate fudge icing. I’ve had two. One was topped with 80% dark chocolate chips. Taste buds = happy.
- Billy Crystal hosting the 2012 Academy Awards. Best. Decision. In. Oscar. History.
- Less than two weeks to Thanksgiving! Also known as the Greatest Day of the Year!
- The Philadelphia Marathon is a week away! I’ve signed up to volunteer at the Expo, the kids’ race, and the Marathon itself. Figured it would be kinda fun and inspiring to see all these crazy awesome athletes, and maybe I might make a couple new friends. I need a social life…
- After trying to resist the hype for over a year, I’ve officially decided to start watching The Walking Dead. You win this one, World of Pop Culture.
- I’m almost done reading Wuthering Heights and the last Princess Diaries novel (I like reading two books at once – switching between them actually helps my focus. Plus, I like reading one in print and the other on my Nook.) Loving both right now, but I’m really excited about the next one on my To-Read list — God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales by Penn Jillette. I just need to think of another book to read alongside it. I was thinking something Austen, especially hot on the heels of Wuthering Heights – Northanger Abbey, mayhaps? Should I go with another non-fiction and get Mornings on Horseback? Or should I just give in to geek-peer-pressure and read Good Omens already? Decisions…
- Hot guys. Baby animals.
Well, I’m done for the night. Feeling totally wiped out from the suckiness that was this past week, so I think I’ll go grab a Snickers bar and tuck in for bed.
Nine random thoughts to get me through work today:
- Thursday night I ate 3 brownies, 10 mini Hersheys, and polished off the rest of the cashew butter. Last night I had 2 brownies and 5 more Hersheys. I could admit to a critical lack of impulse-control, but it’s easier to blame PMS.
- Started watching Wilfred this morning. How did I wait this long?
- Today was McDaniel’s homecoming. I didn’t go. My to-do list is way too long right now – I don’t need to spend 3 hours driving in the rain/snow/sleet/whatever just to eat soggy hotdogs, drink cheap beer, and then drive another 3 hours in the rain/snow/sleet/whatever + dark. Also, who has homecoming on Halloween weekend? Fuck that.
- It’s snowing today. Kinda. It’s melting fast, so it’s more like an extra-chilly rainstorm mixed with a bit of sleet. Everyone’s going bat-poo insane over it, but really, it’s not a big deal. Strange for October, but after the earthquakes and hurricanes this summer, people need to calm the eff down about it.
- Why do you need to wait for an invite to join Pinterest? I wanna start noooooow!
- I need these $200 shoes. My well-being pretty much depends on it.
- Last night, Becky, Ashley and I watched Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus. Spoiler: the volcano wins.
- I came up with a brilliant Halloween costume, but there’s not enough time to put it together this year. So you’ll all just have to wait until next to see it.
- Jack-O-Lantern carving party with the family tomorrow night. I’ve been looking at some kickass photos for ideas, and decided I really hate creative/talented people.
Thursday morning, Aunt Sue, Uncle Kenny, Kelly, Steve and I were headed for the airport at 4 am. It was ungodly early, but strong coffee and a breakfast parfait helped perk me up. Everything went smoothly, from security to boarding to the flight itself. I picked up a copy of Entertainment Weekly’s Reunions issue – so glad I did, because I didn’t know they had Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino do a Romy & Michele photo shoot! I also loved the articles on The Princess Bride, Office Space and Home Improvement. Perfect in-flight reading material.
This Thursday, I’m flying to Orlando for vacation with my family – we’re going to Walt Disney World! We’re kind of boring when it comes to vacations. We always go on either a Carnival cruise (which I do not enjoy so much, ever since I got seasick on my first one) or we head to WDW. We’ve been there enough times to know that October is the best time of year to go. EPCOT hosts an annual International Food and Wine Festival and the Magic Kingdom throws Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party, both events we’re attending and I’m super stoked for. Read the rest of this entry
I could write a War and Peace-length book about how much I fail as a functional human being.
Take this morning for example. I brought a Fiber One brownie to work and stuck it in the freezer for a snack. It’s never too early for some chocolaty goodness, and I was really craving it by 9. I guess the freezer at work is a lot stronger than mine at home, because the brownie was too hard to eat. “No problem,” I said to myself. “I’ll just nuke it for a bit!”
Not a bad idea, right? Except for the part where I’m a complete moron and thought 45 seconds would do the trick. Yeah, that warmed the brownie alright… and filled the microwave with smoke. Oops.
So after cleaning the kitchen I nearly burned down, I sadly picked at my crumbly, blackened brownie. Then I ate it. It tasted like an ashtray and burned my tongue, but I freaking ate that thing. My tastebuds are still stinging.
The really sad part is that this kind of thing is totally typical of me. It’s truly a miracle I haven’t earned myself a Darwin Award yet.