I’ve never had a serious allergic reaction before. There are a few foods I’m allergic to – mostly raw fruits and vegetables – that have caused me to break out in hives along my jawline, or maybe get an itchy throat or ears. Always little inconveniences that go away on their own after an hour or so, even left untreated. The worst ever was the first time I drank soy milk – a bowl of cereal topped with it gave me a huge blister on my lip and scratchy throat, but I didn’t even take a Benadryl and everything was gone after just an hour and a steaming mug of green tea. For a long time after that, I’d made sure to only eat soy in small traces and tried to build up an immunity. I thought it worked, because recently I’ve been able to have tofu meals and soy-protein bars without any irritation whatsoever.
Until yesterday. Read the rest of this entry
I actually rather liked my “Random” post last week. So I did it again! This might become a regular weekly thing.
- On Sunday, the family had a pumpkin carving party. Caitlin and Josh came with Delaney, and Annie even drove up from Maryland! I’ve never actually carved a pumpkin before – I lack the patience to scoop out the guts, and also I’m not really to be trusted with blades, so I always draw a face with markers instead. But this year I gave it a shot and carved a little owl dude! I think he came out pretty cute.
- The party was costume-optional. My parents and my aunt and uncle all dressed up. It was bizarre.
- I went trick-or-treating with Delaney. Y’all even more jealous.
- Started a Pinterest account and now I’m obsessed. Seriously, I’ve gone insane (or should I say PINsane! Hahaha! …Please tell me I’m funny.)
- If Pinterest doesn’t wreck me, Ryan Gosling just might. This article about him is full of truth (except it neglects to mention that he was in an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?, which somehow makes him even hotter.) He’s almost the most perfect being in the universe. Except Hugh Jackman still exists, so sorry, Ryan.
- Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries… REALLY? Like, obviously. Of course. Inevitable. But still. You couldn’t stick it out through 3 months and at least pretend you aren’t complete assholes?
- Thursday nights are simultaneously the greatest ever and the worst ever right now. How am I supposed to choose between The Vampire Diaries and Community + Parks and Rec every week? At least nothing touches Sunny.
- Wednesday nights, on the other hand, work out just perfectly. Up All Night at 8, Suburgatory at 8:30, Modern Family at 9, half-hour break (optimal for showering,) South Park at 10. Take notes, Thursday.
- The trailer for ParaNorman was released this week. Nothing short of amazing.
Nine random thoughts to get me through work today:
- Thursday night I ate 3 brownies, 10 mini Hersheys, and polished off the rest of the cashew butter. Last night I had 2 brownies and 5 more Hersheys. I could admit to a critical lack of impulse-control, but it’s easier to blame PMS.
- Started watching Wilfred this morning. How did I wait this long?
- Today was McDaniel’s homecoming. I didn’t go. My to-do list is way too long right now – I don’t need to spend 3 hours driving in the rain/snow/sleet/whatever just to eat soggy hotdogs, drink cheap beer, and then drive another 3 hours in the rain/snow/sleet/whatever + dark. Also, who has homecoming on Halloween weekend? Fuck that.
- It’s snowing today. Kinda. It’s melting fast, so it’s more like an extra-chilly rainstorm mixed with a bit of sleet. Everyone’s going bat-poo insane over it, but really, it’s not a big deal. Strange for October, but after the earthquakes and hurricanes this summer, people need to calm the eff down about it.
- Why do you need to wait for an invite to join Pinterest? I wanna start noooooow!
- I need these $200 shoes. My well-being pretty much depends on it.
- Last night, Becky, Ashley and I watched Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus. Spoiler: the volcano wins.
- I came up with a brilliant Halloween costume, but there’s not enough time to put it together this year. So you’ll all just have to wait until next to see it.
- Jack-O-Lantern carving party with the family tomorrow night. I’ve been looking at some kickass photos for ideas, and decided I really hate creative/talented people.
As an eternal pessimist, it is in my nature to dwell on the negative before I can fully appreciate the positive. So I feel I must warn you that what follows is an exhaustive rant about all the suck I experienced on my Disney vacation with little mention of the awesome.
This Thursday, I’m flying to Orlando for vacation with my family – we’re going to Walt Disney World! We’re kind of boring when it comes to vacations. We always go on either a Carnival cruise (which I do not enjoy so much, ever since I got seasick on my first one) or we head to WDW. We’ve been there enough times to know that October is the best time of year to go. EPCOT hosts an annual International Food and Wine Festival and the Magic Kingdom throws Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party, both events we’re attending and I’m super stoked for. Read the rest of this entry
So there have been 0 blog updates for 3 weeks. There have also been 0 blog readers for 4 weeks, so at least I haven’t been neglecting devoted followers. (To those of you who are reading this: Hi, Immediate Family! Is it my week to clean the bathroom?)
So what’s happened since I last posted? Well…
How young is too young to start lying about your age? “I’m 22” just sounds so much better than “I’m 23.”
So yeah, today’s my birthday. I’m excited to celebrate in a low-key way. Chinese take-out for dinner and then going to see The Help with my mom, aunt & sisters. I just finished the novel 2 weeks ago and loved it – I expected a lot of fluffy melodrama, but it was frank and poignant. Definitely worth the read. Plus Kathryn Stockett’s a Phi Mu! Lion pride!
Tomorrow night I’m going to Buffalo Wild Wings with a couple of friends. Between work, editing, shooting a music video, exercising and cleaning out my room, I don’t do anything in my spare time but sleep. So it’ll be nice to go out and enjoy a couple beers!
Half my family was born in August and then there’s me in September, so we always do one big celebration for everyone, usually about a week before my real birthday. I already opened my gifts last Thursday – and they are all AWESOME.
From Mom and Dad, I got some super cute boots. I’m not really a shoe gal – I like looking, but I’m happy wearing Chucks or Docs. But I really wanted a good pair of riding boots for dressier outfits, and these are perfect! (Comfy, too!)
From my Aunt Sue and Uncle Kenny I got a mini-fridge!! When I do my own grocery shopping I always put my name on everything (I can’t afford to feed the scavangers) and my produce takes up a lot of space, which is annoying for everyone. Now I have my own personal fridge! I’m keeping it in the basement – very convenient because I can keep my water bottles nice and cool while exercising!
Then there’s my BIG present – a ticket to see The Book of Mormon on Broadway!!!!!!! I’ll try to deny it, but I am a musical fangirl (just very picky about my shows) and Matt Stone and Trey Parker are pretty much my biggest heroes. Mormon tickets are insanely expensive and practically impossible to get, but Mom ordered a pair months ago. My sister Annie and I are going in December, my favorite time to go to NYC! I’m stoked!
Mom’s been cleaning out the basement and sorting through all our crap. While going through some of my old boxes, look what was uncovered:
Aww, yeah! Sailor Jupiter keychain! This is totally going on my wristlet. Now I keep listening to this over and over (dare you not to dance!):