Mom and I are the hardcore Disney World vacationers in the family (as is Annie, but she was too busy being awesome and becoming a certified firefighter to join us this year [trufax]) so we were the only ones ready for some Hollywood Studios action at 8 am Saturday morning. As soon as we were allowed entry, we raced for Tower of Terror Fast Passes then jumped in line for Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. Nothing wakes you up like going from zero to 60 in 2 seconds — except a shot of espresso, which I bought myself when we got off the ride.
Pro Tip: Do not ride the Tower of Terror after consuming mass amounts of caffeine.
On Friday afternoon, I forewent lunch and dinner so I could instead enjoy all that EPCOT’s Food & Wine Festival had to offer with Caitlin and Kelly and their boys Josh and Steve. I’ve been really making an effort to open myself up to new and exotic foods recently, so I was excited to sample some dishes and drinks from all over the world. Unfortunately I didn’t get to try everything, but I still made out extremely well.
The first stand we hit was Australia. I got Penfolds Cabernet Sauvignon and Shrimp on the Barbie with a Citrus Glaze. I’m not a big shrimp fan, but it was delicious with the glaze. I’d order a full entrée portion. The Cab Sauv was fabulous and I almost got a second sample before deciding to save my money. I also tried a bite of the Grilled Lamb Chop Josh ordered – I’ve never tried lamb before and wasn’t expecting to like it, but I didn’t hate it. It was very tender and not as gross as I find most red meat.
This Thursday, I’m flying to Orlando for vacation with my family – we’re going to Walt Disney World! We’re kind of boring when it comes to vacations. We always go on either a Carnival cruise (which I do not enjoy so much, ever since I got seasick on my first one) or we head to WDW. We’ve been there enough times to know that October is the best time of year to go. EPCOT hosts an annual International Food and Wine Festival and the Magic Kingdom throws Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party, both events we’re attending and I’m super stoked for. Read the rest of this entry
- The Weather – After a hellishly hot summer, the crisp fall weather is definitely refreshing. All you need to wear is a good pair of jeans and a comfy hoodie and you’re golden!
- The Food – Apples, pears, cranberries, mushrooms, squash, plums, pomegranates, spinach — there are so many good fruits and veggies in season right now! I’m most excited about pumpkins and all of the “pumpkin spice” flavored specials.
- The Holidays – The two best days of the year for a fattie like me have got to be Halloween and Thanksgiving. I love these holidays the same way most people love Christmas (also a good day, but a little too cloying for my tastes.) They take me back to my childhood, let me spend quality time with my family and friends, and give me an excuse to gorge myself on candy and starches while calling it “patriotic.”
- The TV – Fall marks the start of the regular television season, and while I’m always glad for new episodes of my returning favorites, I really get excited about checking out new pilots. So far this year, I’ve added 3 new shows to my “must-watch line-up” – NBC’s Up All Night, FOX’s New Girl and The CW’s The Secret Circle (what? I’m allowed to
watchobsess over paranormal teen melodramas, aren’t I?)
- My Hair – Not too frizzy from humidity, not too dry from cold, and a little bit redder than the rest of the year. It just looks really awesome.
So yeah, in case you couldn’t tell, I’m totally stoked about October! Autumn seems to be the most underrated season of the year, but it’s always been my favorite. Winter, spring and summer can suck it.
So there have been 0 blog updates for 3 weeks. There have also been 0 blog readers for 4 weeks, so at least I haven’t been neglecting devoted followers. (To those of you who are reading this: Hi, Immediate Family! Is it my week to clean the bathroom?)
So what’s happened since I last posted? Well…
How young is too young to start lying about your age? “I’m 22” just sounds so much better than “I’m 23.”
So yeah, today’s my birthday. I’m excited to celebrate in a low-key way. Chinese take-out for dinner and then going to see The Help with my mom, aunt & sisters. I just finished the novel 2 weeks ago and loved it – I expected a lot of fluffy melodrama, but it was frank and poignant. Definitely worth the read. Plus Kathryn Stockett’s a Phi Mu! Lion pride!
Tomorrow night I’m going to Buffalo Wild Wings with a couple of friends. Between work, editing, shooting a music video, exercising and cleaning out my room, I don’t do anything in my spare time but sleep. So it’ll be nice to go out and enjoy a couple beers!
Half my family was born in August and then there’s me in September, so we always do one big celebration for everyone, usually about a week before my real birthday. I already opened my gifts last Thursday – and they are all AWESOME.
From Mom and Dad, I got some super cute boots. I’m not really a shoe gal – I like looking, but I’m happy wearing Chucks or Docs. But I really wanted a good pair of riding boots for dressier outfits, and these are perfect! (Comfy, too!)
From my Aunt Sue and Uncle Kenny I got a mini-fridge!! When I do my own grocery shopping I always put my name on everything (I can’t afford to feed the scavangers) and my produce takes up a lot of space, which is annoying for everyone. Now I have my own personal fridge! I’m keeping it in the basement – very convenient because I can keep my water bottles nice and cool while exercising!
Then there’s my BIG present – a ticket to see The Book of Mormon on Broadway!!!!!!! I’ll try to deny it, but I am a musical fangirl (just very picky about my shows) and Matt Stone and Trey Parker are pretty much my biggest heroes. Mormon tickets are insanely expensive and practically impossible to get, but Mom ordered a pair months ago. My sister Annie and I are going in December, my favorite time to go to NYC! I’m stoked!
Mom’s been cleaning out the basement and sorting through all our crap. While going through some of my old boxes, look what was uncovered:
Aww, yeah! Sailor Jupiter keychain! This is totally going on my wristlet. Now I keep listening to this over and over (dare you not to dance!):